Thursday, June 18, 2009

Oatmeal Fudge Bars

This delicious dessert recipe is one I got from my mother.  While on the road, I wanted it when it was inconvenient to call her, so I looked it up online, copied and pasted.  I think it differs from her recipe ever so slightly, but I cannot credit it properly, so I'll just say it's hers.  Unlike the cookies, I cannot even pretend that it is in any way healthy, but I promise you this:  once you taste it, you won't care.

My aunt says she used to call them "Better than sex bars."  Sadly, this is probably true more often than I care to think about...
 
CRUST:
1 c. butter
2 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
4 c. oatmeal

FUDGE LAYER:
1 (12 oz.) pkg. semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tbsp. butter
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix the crust and press most of it into a buttered pan.  I just use a regular 9x13 cake pan, but my mom uses some funky slightly larger pan, maybe 10x14 or something?  Reserve about a cup of the mixture for a topping.

Melt the fudge ingredients in the microwave, stirring after one minute and zapping in thirty second increments after that to avoid scorching.  Pour onto crust, then top with blobs of the remaining crust mix.  Bake at 350 until it's golden brown on top and smells delicious, maybe 20 or 25 minutes?  Lick fudge bowl while waiting.  Let cool for what seems like forever, or it will be impossible to get out of the pan.  You can always pop it in the fridge if it's taking too long...

Edited to add: If you're into that sort of thing, a little extra salt in the fudge part is mighty tasty!

No comments: